Thursday, June 25, 2009

The Big #10

I'll keep this short. I finished my 10th book yesterday! Transparent weighs in at a healthy 63,500 words, making it my shortest book, actually. I think I'm just getting more efficient and less indulgent in unnecessary information.

I'm really happy about that accomplishment, though I'm already thinking about the massive changes I need to make to the end. It's so...not climactic enough. I'll figure it out eventually. I really love this book, but onto the back burner it goes for a good simmer. Can't wait to pull it back to the front someday.

For the time being, it's back to Void! I was right in the middle of a massive edit when I had to change gears and work on the ninjas once again. I have about 33k left to rework and tighten. I'm looking forward to getting Coral's story in better shape. I think I might be happy enough with it after this round to print it out and line edit. Gasp.

16 comments:

  1. With so many books going on, do you ever feel yourself crossing characters or scenes? My brain would be a muddled mess with that much running through it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Natalie! If it's anywhere near Sealed, it's got to be amazing. I love that you make it sound like you gave birth to the book. Although that's kind of what it's like, huh? Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, that's a good question, Megan. Right now, I'd have to say no. The worlds I've made are so different from each other that I can't think of any characters or scenes that feel similar to me.

    I mean, how can you compare secret Ninja Clans to North America being on the verge of yet another cyborg vs clone war? Or elves who lose immortality when they fall in love to modern steam punk wizardry?

    Lol, Glam, it is kinda like having a child. Right now, I'm loving my little baby...even if she's got a bit of a cone head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's incredibly inspiring, Natalie. Congratulations! You make me want to write.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So when do you plan on submitting one of these ten? I'm sure there are agents out there just waiting to get their sticky fingers on them even if they don't know it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessie, Relax, I'm a Ninja is currently on submission:) Some agents do have their sticky fingers on it...let's hope they stay sticky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As always, you amaze me.

    Can't wait to read this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are incredible. I've got to get me some of the cybernetic implants. I'm just not getting enough done in any one day. Must. write. more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was lucky enough to read an early version of Void! It was awesome then; I can't wait to buy and read the final version!

    ReplyDelete
  11. congratulations! so amazing!!!! i can't wait to finish my second...!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic! Good work.

    Hey Natalie, how many project are you working on at this very minute?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chris, I usually only work on one project at a time. But if I work on two, it has to be editing one and writing another.

    ReplyDelete